The Marriage of Turquoise and Silver
The use of turquoise for jewelry has been practiced since prehistoric times. Silver has been utilized by the Zuni Indian Tribe in the Southwest for over 100 years. With the combination of turquoise and silver, the Zunis are known for crafting Zuni Turquoise Earrings with detailed stonework. Each stone is carefully cut, polished, and set in intricate, geometric patterns. Approximately 75% of the turquoise mined in the Southwest is used to create Zuni Turquoise Earrings.
Zuni Turquoise Earrings display intricate stone work and inlays, in which stones are set closely together, either side by side or within a silver design frame. The turquoise stone is most frequently used, and is known for its historical significance, natural beauty, waxy luster, and durability. Most Zuni Turquoise Earrings are priced according to the amount of handiwork and craftsmanship rather than by the value of the turquoise or weight of the silver findings.
Sleeping Beauty turquoise is most commonly used in Zuni Turquoise Earrings. This bright, sky-blue stone is often treated chemically to increase durability for use in Zuni Turquoise Earrings. Even though this type of turquoise is historically the most valuable in the creation of Zuni Turquoise Earrings, many other exotic varieties have recently become popular.
Styles and Techniques Used In Zuni Turquoise Earrings
Many traditional and contemporary styles of Zuni Turquoise Earrings are available to enhance a fashionable wardrobe:
- NEEDLE POINT STYLE– Small stones shaped like the eye of a needle create this hoop style of Zuni Turquoise Earrings.
- ZUNI PETIT POINT STYLE – These hoop style earrings use tiny, hand-cut cabochons in the Zuni Turquoise Earrings, which are cut in round, square, oval, rectangle. or teardrop shapes.
- INLAY STYLE – Set in sterling silver designs, the turquoise stones are individually cut and placed into silver channels or bezels to create a mosaic look to the Zuni Turquoise Earrings.
- STUD STYLE – Contemporary, high fashion stud earrings feature single pieces or drop-style earrings, handcrafted onto a silver post to create a shorter style of Zuni Turquoise Earrings.
- DANGLE STYLE – The lightweight, colorful dangle earrings are the preferred style of Zuni Turquoise Earrings
Zuni Turquoise Earrings are currently one of the most popular styles due to the high quality craftsmanship by the Zuni Indians artists, the many varieties and designs, and the beauty and tradition of the turquoise stone. Zuni Turquoise Earrings would be the perfect addition to any collection!